LG Electronics supplies almost 70 % of all smartphone displays in the world
According to a report published by Business Korea, LG is responsible for displays found in at least 66.8 % of smartphones shipped during the first quarter of 2015.
While everyone seemed to be running helter skelter in search of smartphone sales, the two tech giants of South Korea (ie. LG and Samsung) worked silently in order diversify their income. While Samsung is set to sharpen it’s position as one of the biggest global semiconductor outfits by 2017, LG has found resort in display business.
During 2015 Q1, the phone maker’s screen division, LG Display, made US$148 million revenue, a whooping 90.9 percent of the entire display industry’s revenue. Samsung Display came second at 3.1 % or $63 million while JDI raked in $48 million (2.4 percent).
In terms of numbers, LG shipped 5.2 million / 66.8 % of the 8 million screens the market boasted of during the period. Japan Display shipped 12.4 % while Futaba and Sharp completed the top four list with 1.1 million (9.4 %) and 900,000 (7.5 %) respectively.
You may also like
- LG Electronics unveils G Pad II 10.1 tablet
- LG Electronics reports $206 profit in 2015 Q2 earnings report
- LG Band Play: Has LG Electronics lost focus?
- LG Electronics supplies almost 70 % of all smartphone displays in the world
- LG Electronics unveils four Lollipop smartphones: LG Magna, Spirit, Leon and Joy