Micromax topples Samsung to become top mobile phone seller in India
Yesterday, we told you how Samsung lost it’s position in China as top smartphone seller to Xiaomi. A status the Korean phone maker held for two years.
Today, the tragedy continues for Samsung as India’s own Micromax is announced new champ for mobile phone (not the same as smartphone) sales on it’s home soil.
The data prepared by CounterResearchPoint highlights Samsung’s dwindling fortunes was utilized by Micromax who snatched the top spot with 16% of the market share. Samsung, the first runner up held 14.4% of the market.
However, in the smartphones department which is more important in terms of revenue, Samsung still held sway of India with 25.3%. Coming at second and third positions are Micromax and Karbonn. Motorola and Nokia completed the list of the top 5 Indian smartphone manufacturers.
According to the research, the Indian mobile phone market grew a modest 2% annually but the smartphone segment grew a handsome 68% annually as demand for feature phones fell 16% annually in Q2 2014.
You may also like
- Breaking: Home-based Micromax topples Samsung India
- Micromax topples Samsung to become top mobile phone seller in India
- Micromax shifts back as Samsung is crowned undisputed smartphone king in India
- Micromax names new COO to handle surging phone business
- Nokia improves in India but Samsung and Micromax still lead