Just last week, statistics provided by Canalys shows how Samsung surrendered the top vendor position to Micromax in India. The score sheet showed that the local brand topped Samsung by nearly 2% difference at %22 of the market share in 2014 Q4, however, another analyst, Counterpoint, has provided evidence where it states that Samsung is still leading the race, with a very wide gap.
Counterpoint quoted Samsung as shipping as high as 27% of smartphones sold in the region during the period while Micromax has 19.5%. The analyst believes that Intex came third at 6.5% while Lava (5.1%) and Lenovo (including Motorola) 4.7 percent completed the top five list. The remaining 36.8% were shared by Karbonn, Xiaomi, Spice and others. Samsung remained to leader in all mobile phone shipments combined (feature phones and smartphones).
Interesting facts from the report:
- India mobile phone market grew by 6% Y-o-Y but declined sequentially on account of a mixed seasonality during the quarter.
- Smartphone shipments stood close to 22 Million during Q4 2014 reaching to a record level crossing 80 Million units for the first time and contributing close to 32% of the overall shipments in CY 2014.
- India is the third largest smartphone market in the world and shipping almost twice as many smartphones shipped in Japan in 2014.
- Samsung led the overall mobile phone and smartphone market during the quarter with a market share of 16.1% and 27.4% respectively.
- Micromax maintained the second position in both overall and smartphone market closely following Samsung. Micromax smartphone shipments grew 75% Y-o-Y but declined sequentially.
- Intex entered the top 5 smartphone vendor rankings for the first time in a quarter capturing slightly under 7% of the market share during the quarter. Intex smartphones enjoyed a strong demand in sub-$100 smartphone segment especially for its Aqua 3G and Y Pro models.
- Lenovo raced to number fifth position primarily due to acquisition of Motorola capturing almost 5% of the Indian smartphone market during the quarter
- Xiaomi smartphone shipments grew almost 250% Q-o-Q but the vendor failed to make it to the Top five smartphone vendors during the quarter