A 13 year-old girl from Texas woke up one morning to see her bed and pillow charred by fire. The cause? Her Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone she kept under her pillow while she slept the previous night.
Her father suggested that the phone’s battery overheated while the little girl slept, causing the phone to light up a “small fire” which burnt her beddings and completely destroy the phone itself.
Samsung has already commented on the incident. After supervising the scence, the company issued a statement citing that a non-Samsung manufactured battery that was being used in the phone was what caused the fire. It maintained it’s strong despise for third-party batteries and chargers which was highlighted on the Galaxy S4’s user manual.
They further promised to replace the girls smartphone with another one (maybe with a brand new Galaxy S5?) and to pay for damages on her bed.
This is not the first time we are seeing incidents like this. Last year, a Xiaomi phone went up in flames inside a young woman’s handbag causing her to loose some of her valuables.